ofxQCAR for android

Hi there! I’ve been following this project for a while and I think you have done and amazing job. I’m also convinced that it will have a lot to do with all of us in the long term future. So congratulations for that! Have you considered using Artoolkit instead of Vuforia? It also supports Natural Features Tracking, the main platforms (Mac OS X, PC, Linux, Android, iOS) and its (LGPLv3).

1 Like

Hi @buitregool, Welcome to our Community!

I think the ARToolKit community does an amazing Job and they follow a wonderful philosophy.
I checked out the ARToolKit after the big open source jump and redesign was made.
I love the color and typography on the ARToolKit Webpage!

At the time I felt that the performance was not comparable to Vuforia.
Please prove me wrong on that. It would be great!

We might see a lot of movement in the AR-Tracking space within the next Year.

• ArToolKit will become better with its performance over time. I have no doubts about that.
    And Phones become faster anyway…
  • Apple acquired Metaio. What if this acquisition will led to an open source core AR framework for xCode/Swift as part of their new open source philosophy?
  • PTC acquired Vuforia. What if they decide to be more open as well to keep up with the competition?

Did I missed another relevant tracker?

I hope that the competition in that field will bring some movement for open ideas paired with high performance. Eventually the tracker technology used in the Reality Editor should be open and the marker format has to be open and independent.

Lets see where AR is moving within the next 6-12 Month.

2 Likes

Hi @valentin. Thanks for the welcome. Glad to join! I totally agree and understand your perspective. I’ve been going through the repos and the code, and I could not find the xcode/ofx project for the reality editor. Is this published or will be publish? I found one called ‘Editor and Object’ witch is mainly the editor’s GUI and there is also a forked ofxQCAR from Julapy. I think it would be important to have access to the whole project specially if it’s in mind the idea or porting it to other platforms or expecting big contributions from the development community. Thanks for your time. Cheers.

@buitregool to try out example first download OF for iOS and then add julapy addons into the addons folder of the downloaded OF ios distribution. then copy the example folder inside apps folder of OF and double click on .xcodeproject file. if everything thing alright you will be able to build the example.

@buitregool We spend a good amount of time to push as much Reality Editor code as possible in to the open source Javascript code base and will continue to do so: https://github.com/openhybrid/editor
Within the Reality Editor you have an option where you can load the entire javascript interface from a remote server.

Furthermore we will discuss the next steps for the Reality Editor xCode and Android project at our
OH conference: http://openhybrid.org/ohconference.html

For the moment, I believe that it is healthy for the project to keep the code for generating App Store binaries in a trusted circle of developers until our community has grown strong enough.

This trusted circle is not exclusive. You can join via the following options:

• You can participate in building the community and contribute code for some time.
  • You can participate in our OH conferences so that we can learn about you.
  • Use the Platform in your own experiments and collaborate with other community members.
  • If you are an MIT student, you can join our research via the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) or just stop by and propose your ideas for collaborations.
1 Like

Hi @valentin. Thanks for your throughout reply. Sounds fair enough for now. Based on the above rules I will see what I can do.

Hello @valentin and thank you for the invite. I hope I can bring something to the table that you can use to really make this project soar!

Keith

public void livingToday()
{
    do while ( makesSense != true )
    {
        watchNews();
        facePalm();
    }
}

Hi Guys, Currently i am able to put current version of ofxQCAR addons in OF android release but as this addon specifically made for iOS, we have to change few files in few codes. anybody here with good JNI and android NDK knowledge…?

Hello @Jacrys Wellcome to the Community! :sunny:

I am solid with INIs, I haven’t looked at the NDK for a year or two, but do have the newest version and Android studio Installed on my DevBox, so I could probably hum a few bars. I have to admit that I haven’t yet had a chance to look at the source code for the iOS app, so completely unfamiliar with it, but an hour or two this weekend should give me some good perspective. Let me know if there is anything specific that is tripping you up and I will do my best to help.

We need to get this add on working on the android version of open frameworks:
https://github.com/julapy/ofxQCAR

@Jacrys I’m gonna try doing the same this weekend. What ever progress you have would be nice if you can comment in the forum so we don’t replicate efforts. Said so, @valentin has forked a julapy’s addon here: https://github.com/openhybrid/ofxQCAR. It could be a nice place to add the new Android addon version.

yeah, i think we should have to start with fresh branch i think. because the current one with android version on git has some bugs which are currently unidentified and there is no documentation available for any kind of initialiation. give me couple of days and i will share whatever work i done so far.

1 Like

Hi
@buitregool @Jacrys @niravpmalsattar did you guys have any luck making that add on work yet , it sure would be very nice to have the reality editor on android :smile:

1 Like

@V_Mohammed_Ibrahim Hi, i am sorry to say but i am still working on it. i have to figure out a way to integrate JNI with Android OF & Vuforia SDK. Lets See!!!

@niravpmalsattar How is it going? How about use Processing instead of OF? The Processing apis base on java, maybe don’t need so many JNI and NDK programming.

Hi, Peiyong

as per i know the idea of using OF is only because to be OS independent. and even use c++ as a core only for some the rendering engine and all will be good for processing power for device.

well, i dont have deep knowledge about processing and its integration with Android but at the end, to work it with android processing code has to integrated with android sdk right…? if yes then there we will be on the same page again. please correct me if i wrong.

Thank You.

Hi niravpmalsattar,

Your are right, the Processing and the Vuforia all have to integrate into the Android SDK. I found a opensource project about this: vuforia_for_processing.

I try that demo and it’s quiet simple, but I’m not skilled in Android and Vofuria for further development, soyou can follow this work if you are interest in it.

okay, thanks for taking interest @Peiyong

Hello everyone!

I’d love to work with the reality editor, but I only have an android tablet. I’m considering getting an ipad just for that, :confused:
I imagine you haven’t been able to create the android addon in the end… any plans to do so?

Thanks a lot for all the trials anyway!